Monday 16 February 2015

11. Ko Samui

After Ko Tao Rob, Tony and I visited Ko Samui.

We hopped on a ferry over to the island, wherupon Tony haggled so furiously with taxi drivers that nobody wanted to take us to a guesthouse, so we basically started off walking across the island (which it turned out would have taken hours and hours) when a minibus passed by and offered a fare more to Tony's liking.


There were a couple of boozy nights out, I think one one of them I drunkenly tried to haggle with a hooker but seem to remember she got fed up of my antics so just gave me a free kiss.
I also saw a proper Thai kick boxing match which was enjoyable. It was in stark contrast to the one from Phi Phi which was more of a pantomime. This was clearly more real and two people I had never heard of fought in the title bout. One of them was victorious (apologies for the lack of detail, I honestly forgot their names as soon as I heard them!).

Rob and Tony outside the arena


Compared with the other places I had travelled to in Thailand, and possibly because of them I found the island to be tedious, uninteresting and overpriced. It seemed to me to be a dreary amalgamation of Hotels and sports pubs next to a bit of beach. That it was sunny was my only clue that I was in Thailand!

It was good to travel with Rob and Tony for a while, however this was the last stop of their Thailand trip - they were on their way to Perth to find work. So the time came for us to say our goodbyes, I wished them luck and headed off for Ko Phagnan, the last on my island hopping tour.


No comments:

Post a Comment