Friday 15 January 2016

19. Phnom Penh, parte the laste: The Palace

I spent  the last few days in Phnom Penh taking in some of the sights like the history museum and doing some less interesting things like visiting another gym (as it had been a while since doing anything active) and going to a big mall to grab some bits and pieces.

All to quickly it was the day before we were to head on to Sihanoukville. That evening to celebrate Pat and I decided to consume a titanic volume of beer in various establishments along the river front. Once that mission was complete we headed home. On the way back we once again passed the kings palace. This time nobody was there, as opposed to the last time when numerous locals were camped out in front. The only person I could see was one guard asleep in a hammock near the entrance. If anyone wanted to attempt a coup of the monarchy, I thought aloud, then that night would have been an excellent time.

The palace was a bit of a magnet for moths


We passed the guard and came to a point where the wall was slightly lower than at other points. Our keen sense of exploration, combined with our inebriation slightly trumped our newfound reverence for Cambodian culture. I decided to pull myself up onto the wall to take a look into the ground of the palace.It was quite dark and I couldn't really see anything, so decided to get back down before I upset anybody.
We decided that this was successful proof that invading the country would be a cinch I hope that nobody learns of our drunken and abortive attempt to invade the country. I think the safest way to do that is to write about it here on the internet.

The ok guesthouse turned out to actually be not just ok, but pretty good. All of the staff were great and there was a lot of rapport.
For example one day one of the staff said to me,
"Hey, you got a problem with me, man?". appearing to square up for a fight,
I wasn't sure if he was joking, so a little uncertainly I assumed he was and replied "Yeah, I've got a problem with you"
He was joking, and proceeded to cheerfully box my midriff. I suppose in retrospect that we did appear to be big fans of Khmer boxing, as it was the first thing we went to see when getting to town. So it became a running joke between me and him. Every time we met there was another pretend outrage that we needed to square off about.

All too quickly the day of departure came about. It was with a little regret that we had to leave because I had very much enjoyed my time in the Cambodian capital. A minibus that we had booked rolled up to the guesthouse and we clambered aboard and headed off for Sihanoukville.

No comments:

Post a Comment