Monday 10 December 2018

41. Ho Chi Minh City

After landing in Ho Chi Minh City I headed to the area my trusty guide book suggested was good for low priced accommodation. Here, like in Phnom Penh, instead of roads there were rivers of scooters. I had to readjust to the knack of crossing the road, which was to step into the motorised maelstrom and keep walking trusting that nobody will hit you.



Once I found somewhere to stay I rang Mike, the guy who I’d saved the life of in Cambodia*. He was working in the city and had extended an invite to visit him in the new year.
We chatted for a while during which he told me a fitness boot camp was happening that night and invited me along. I thought: why not.

I hadn’t really done any exercise since Cambodia, so that night was a strange combination of being happy to catch up with Mike and almost dying of exhaustion.

The next day, rather sore, I decided to check out some cultural sights in the city. It didn’t take long to track down an enterprising bike owner with a custom tour offer.
I hopped on and we charged off into the blizzard of scooters, but almost as we’s set off we had to slow to pass a crowd in the road. There had been an accident. A scooter was on it’s side and people were gathered around a prone individual being given CPR. I couldn’t help but give my diver a pat on the back and urge him to be careful.

On the last night I met up with Mike again and a friend of his. It was a fun evening. We visited a few bars, ate some truly exceptional street food and watched a random fist fight that erupted between some Russians.



* Carried some distance from a sunbed to his guesthouse whilst unconscious

No comments:

Post a Comment