Monday 4 July 2016

24. Christmas Cambodi-dinner

Despite the sedate nature of this (so called) travelling me and Pat were doing Christmas came around worryingly fast, and arrived with a bang.
The entire place was awoken absurdly early at about 11 am by “holiday in cambodia” by the dead kennedys being played at full volume from reception. I had no doubt it was Thomas.

A while back I had booked Christmas dinner at Richie’s. They had promised that they were going to fly in turkeys and sausages in from a butcher in the UK and it did not disappoint. We had prawn cocktail starter, turkey roasts stuffing & pigs in blankets and sherry trifle. To top it off all Booze was included.

The feast




By the evening I was nicely sloshed. A group of us got some inflatables and went to sit in the sea. Pat used his waterproof diving bag as a chiller for some beers using ice kindly provided by Richies. The rest of the night’s events are a boozy blur. I do remember that I skyped my mum from the beach and had to admit to her that whilst I was sad I could not be with the family - I wasn't sad about anything else!






The day after Christmas I was not feeling too hungover (which worried me a little) so decided that I would do something a little different and visit Sihanoukville to go to the gym. Mr Lim kindly provided me with the address of a couple of gyms, so I stepped out onto the dirt road to employ the services of a tuktuk (there were always a couple hovering about here and there).

After getting to town I was driven to a random part of the suburbs, seemingly where the first gym was located. This so called gym was essentially a warehouse with a running machine in it and a couple of dumbbells. I decided to try another one. The second one was far nicer. It seemed to be primarily a Khmer boxing place, but had plenty of gym equipment and was set in a pleasant tropical garden. The tuk tuk driver waited for us to finish and drove us back.



I ended up going to that gym a couple of times in the run up to new year. On the second visit just as with the first my driver said he would wait. No problem I told him. I went and got changed. When I emerged I found that the gym was actually extremely busy. I had a go on the machines when they became free. After that I grabbed some dumbbells. It was very crowded to the point that there wasn’t anywhere obvious to stand. I searched around and eventually noticed a spot at one of the edges of the gym area. When I got to it, however, I found that my driver was sat there on a low wall looking in at everyone! The space was directly in front of him so I had no choice but to finish my exercise there. He didn’t seem like he wanted to move, so I carried on regardless, essentially doing my exercises as an odd performance for his benefit! It was quite bizarre and somewhat embarrassing.

No comments:

Post a Comment