Thursday 17 January 2019

44. Nah Trang Chopper Tour

The day before leaving Nah Trang I was approached by a man offering tours of the area by chopper bike. I decided quite quickly it sounded like fun, and said I was interested and asked how much it was. The guy had quite a rehearsed sales pitch though, so ploughed on with what he was saying, proceeding to produce a laminated booklet with lots of pictures of previous customers sat on his bike with big cheesy grins. I patiently scrutinised each picture, nodding and making interested noises as he leafed through.
We eventually agreed on a price and he hurried off to grab his bike.

He quickly returned on a large Harley, which was pretty impressive. He handed me a hard hat to wear and we set off. We rode as far as his house.
He hopped off and went inside, emerging with 2 bin liners full of clothes. He explained that this would be a charity donation to some villagers we were going to visit, and dumped them in front of me to hang on to.

We headed off to our first stop to deliver the clothes. It was about a twenty minute ride - and not the greatest start to the trip. I had to hold on to the bags but still keep myself on the bike, which I just about managed through tactical use of buttock muscles. When we got there we gave them the clothes bags. They eagerly rummaged through - picking out various garments. I suppose it was payment of sorts because we were then allowed to have a look around the village and the guide told me about their lifestyles and the various wicker creations they made there.


It was a great tour, and my guide was fantastic. He took me to various other interesting spots like scenic points in the countryside or workshops where they made incense, noodles and mats. I think my favourite place was a little local eatery in the middle of nowhere that my guide liked going to. I have to say it was easily the best bowl of Pho I’d ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment