Monday 21 January 2019

45. Hoi An

It was a real struggle finding a coach for my onward trip. I was attempting to be frugal, however it was approaching Chinese new year so lots of people intended to travel and see family / friends so lots of tickets had sold out. It meant I had a fun afternoon wandering around numerous travel agents to find a bus ticket that was not extortionate.

Eventually I managed to buy one, and set off for the next stop: Hoi An. It was a beautiful town. Lots of waterfront areas, flowers everywhere and quaint streets with little coloured lanterns criss crossing above them.

From there I headed to Hue.

As we pulled into the town I did the same thing I did in the last two towns. Disembarked to find any hotel reps that might be there to haggle with. There were dutifully a couple of reps there, so listened to their offers. I accepted one and we headed off. On our way I got chatting to the driver, Tam. He asked me what my plans were for the new year celebrations. I confessed that I didn’t have any plans at all, really, being a foot loose and fancy free solo backpacker.
“But it’s Chinese new year!” I remember him exclaiming.
He didn’t seem able to accept my lack of plans - so invited me out that evening to celebrate with his friends. I was honoured and accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment