Thursday 17 May 2007

Old Post

Here is another old post:

Do some good
I dont know if this is a little clichéd - but it's certainly a bit vague. There are a great many good causes to choose from, and I have covered some charity with items 4 (Get Nestlé to give me £10) and 13 (Run any marathon) But neither of those are entirely selfless acts. Actually I'm not sure if altruism really exists, because even if somebody gave away everything they had and gave their life to others, would that not make them pleased in some way? Or am I one of those dreaded cynics...

Having recently watched
Robert Newman tell me some interesting things about American foreign policy - I am tempted to try to raise awareness about some things people may be unfairly dismissing because they either don't believe them or think are part of a fad of political activism and secretly cant get mad at America because they like 'Friends'. There are Human rights issues, such as a number of dictators making many lives miserable and getting away with murder: Kim Jong Il, Omar Al Bashir, Robert Mugabe and George W Bush to name a few. There are numerous environmental issues; Not to mention animal cruelty; child abuse; homeless people needing homes; Organisations researching cancer or aids or helping the victims; mine clearance and charities for the disabled... Where should I apply my efforts?

In terms of my task I will do these things:

1. Join amnesty international and take some
action
2. Do 15 things on
this page
regarding the environment. I will post details once I start.
3. Ensure I complete tasks 4, 13 and also 8 (give blood)
4. be aware of current affairs

I apologise that this post is not very entertaining - so I think whenever this happens I will add a very funny joke:

A man walks into the doctor's office:
"Doctor, I've had problems with silent gas emissions. At home, work, and even at church, I release tons of silent farts everywhere I go! As a matter of fact I've had three sitting here talking to you. What are we going to do?"
The doctor replies
"The first thing we're going to do is check your hearing"

No comments:

Post a Comment