Wednesday 23 May 2007

Try to get a book published

So I was thinking of continuing my epic novel which has all the right ingredients for a modern classic. So I picked up the chapter a half I had done and gave it a read. One thing I noticed (aside for how groundbreakingly incredible the story is) was that my writing style is... well ameteurish. I haven't written much creatively and if I really want my work of genius to be released it would need to be well written.
So I thought - is there a market of people who don't notice / care when the quality of content is abysmal.
My answer: Kids.
They like any old rubbish. Have you seen the tellytubbies? Half of an episode is taken up by them watching a film of little kids doing something pointless in their bellies - and then repeating it RIGHT AFTER. Thomas the tank engine is essentially about little toy trains with faces getting into scrapes over a passenger losing their shoe or something. The tweenies is about... god knows.
They tend to share attributes:
  • Have an moral / educational message which is usually overly idealistic
  • Portray the story as if the recipient was a cretin
  • Contain anthropomorphised items as the main character like 'Colin the Happy Spoon', or a fluffy... snail or something (someone the kids can really associate with)

No comments:

Post a Comment